Everyone's Free to Wear Sunscreen
- May 99
Chicago Tribune Columnist Mary Schmich (SHMEEK). Schmich wrote a column in 1997 imagining what she would say if she was giving a high school graduation speech. The speech wound up on the internet, attributed to author Kurt Vonnegut. Now the writing has become a song by Australian film director Baz Luhrman. It's played heavily on alternative rock stations. Schmich thinks that the popularity of her "graduation speech" indicates the Millennium Generation is hungry for advice.
Wear sunscreen...
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.
You are not as fat as you imagine.
Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.
Do one thing every day that scares you.
Sing.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
Floss.
Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.
Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.
Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.
Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.
Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.
Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.
Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.
Travel.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.
Respect your elders.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.
Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.
But trust me on the sunscreen...
- May 99
Chicago Tribune Columnist Mary Schmich (SHMEEK). Schmich wrote a column in 1997 imagining what she would say if she was giving a high school graduation speech. The speech wound up on the internet, attributed to author Kurt Vonnegut. Now the writing has become a song by Australian film director Baz Luhrman. It's played heavily on alternative rock stations. Schmich thinks that the popularity of her "graduation speech" indicates the Millennium Generation is hungry for advice.
Wear sunscreen...
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.
You are not as fat as you imagine.
Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.
Do one thing every day that scares you.
Sing.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
Floss.
Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.
Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.
Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.
Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.
Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.
Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.
Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.
Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.
Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.
Travel.
Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.
Respect your elders.
Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.
Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.
But trust me on the sunscreen...
91 comments:
WTF, blogger? You piss me off. I was trying to save this one for in the morning, but oh no, oh no, I made one little mistake and pushed publish and here it is!
Oh well, oh well, oh well....
I think this one is good enough to leave up for a couple of days anyways.
Oh, I like this one a lot!
Did I miss anything on the last one? I just walked in the door. What was up at Mayo's before? I saw Princess going "MAYO!!!!" so I thought maybe he popped in for a sec.
Hmmm.
I'm feeling some poetry tonight, maybe.
Or maybe just eating a pomegranate and watching X Files.
Um, lemme see, you missed me, RW, Smoke, and Lucy pondering powdered fantasy fruit. I think that's about it. Smoke was just hollerin' at Mayo. She likes the sound of her own voice.
LOL!
Well, that's cool. I was feelin' Sei over there but now I need to go have a shower.
I'm feeling the Japanese and CHinese poetry and art love tonight.
Sounds lovely, Jules. Be sure to let some flow over here too! Paint the porch with poetry.
I'm off to bed. One more day of work and then I'm off on Friday!
WHOOP! WHOOP!
Night, Folks!
Good night, Solly! I've got one for you before I go TA WATH.
I am determined to condense and retell,
The brilliance (my writings) emit
will illuminate a thousand springtimes.
Should an aspiring sage establish himself,
I will stop writing
when the "unicorn is caught."
Lucy Bean said,
Well, RW it's funny you should ask...
Hahaha! Lucy, you are bad!!
Goodmorning everyone.
Hope your day goes well. =)
i love this post solly!!
and as Robbie Williams once said....
youth is wasted on the young, before you know it's come and gone too soon.
hi PP!!
well porchies i hope you have great thursdays!
Jules,
That was a perfect poem for me! Yayness!
Hi PP,
I'm gonna have to start setting traps to catch you again.
Hi FASC,
Hope you are having a nice afternoon!
Solly's Random Treat of the Day:
Outer and Inner
FROM twig to twig the spider weaves
At noon his webbing fine.
So near to mute the zephyrs flute
That only leaflets dance.
The sun draws out of hazel leaves
A smell of woodland wine.
I wake a swarm to sudden storm
At any step's advance.
Along my path is bugloss blue,
The star with fruit in moss;
The foxgloves drop from throat to top
A daily lesser bell.
The blackest shadow, nurse of dew,
Has orange skeins across;
And keenly red is one thin thread
That flashing seems to swell.
My world I note ere fancy comes,
Minutest hushed observe:
What busy bits of motioned wits
Through antlered mosswork strive.
But now so low the stillness hums,
My springs of seeing swerve,
For half a wink to thrill and think
The woods with nymphs alive.
I neighbor the invisible
So close that my consent
Is only asked for spirits masked
To keep from trees and flowers.
And this because with them I dwell
In thought, while calmly bent
To read the lines dear Earth designs
Shall speak her life on ours.
Accept, she says; it is not hard
In woods; but she in towns
Repeats, accept; and have we wept,
And have we quailed with fears,
Or shrunk with horror, sure reward
We have whom knowledge crowns;
Who see in mold the rose unfold,
The soul through blood and tears.
George Meredith
Grrrr. It was fifty damn degrees in my house this morning! >_<
Have a great day!
XOXO
I iz sicky :(
And my phone line is still not working, so I couldn't call in >_<
I hope my boss checks her email.
Hello pork! RW, I'm sorry you're not feeling quite the thing. That sucks! Feel better soon.
What you all doin' today aside from working? I'm going out and about. I hope you are all having a lovely day. :)
Hi, K :)
Gonna go back to bed.
Have a good day, all :)
hola chiquitas.
hi guys!
hi Jenn!
RW feel well soon babe and hope you get your phone sorted!!
can't stop atall but just wanted to say have a pleasant evening!!
and mustard where the motherfuck are you??!! we miss you so much!
Hi Errbody! I agree FASC, I miss Pash too!
Nearly the weekend, only one more day to go!
PP, the sisters were in awe of the powdered froot! But now Solly has vowed revenge! EEEP!
It's Solly, botches!
What's shaking?
And I brought powdered fruit!
Go-go gadget arm!
O_o
What are you go go getting?
Eff if I know.
I wish I had a chocolate milkshake.
Hmm, I wish I had warm chocolate chip cookies and milk.
My boss emailed me today to tell me that I should take gin with my migraine medicine to help me sleep.
O_o
My boss kinda rocks.
x_O
Indeed, Solly!
Whatcoo up to?
That ruled, huh? Mayo putting the smack down again. sweet! And then making a new post. ^_^
Good night, my sweet pork!
THE PORK OF LOVE.
G'nite, Porch.
I still want cookies and milk.
morning PORK!!
have great fridays all!
solly enjoy your day off!
leathermouth is opening for MSI!!
totally lost my appetite after reading that!
oh well, oh well, oh well....
Leathermouth is opening for MSI!!
>_<
Please tell me that's a joke.
Mornin' Porch!
I should still be sleepin' but my body said, "Nope, fuck that!" So, here I am.
Leathermouth and MSI, and to think I just checked that tour page last night and didn't even notice. I can't say that I have ever really listened to MSI, just a snippet of one song (might've been pre-Proj Rev when I was trying to get a feel of what some of the other bands were like) and they just didn't sound like a band that I would be interested in. If Leathermouth/MSI were headed down our way again, would I go?
Honestly, probably yes. I like Leathermouth and our LM/Reggie show was one of the best shows I have ever been to, so I would go to support LM and hang around and give MSI another listen and see what they are all about live just because I'm curious like that. And then if I still didn't like them or get them, I'd leave. Simple as.
I wouldn't, if it was true, which I'm still not convinced. I find hate speech deplorable.
I'm kinda glad Splash isn't here to see all this. O_O
Hi Jules!
Zzzzz...it's lazy time!
Catch you guys later!
Hiya, Porchies! (got pork? ^_^)
Sorry I've been away awhile, I was off sick for two weeks because I had a three-fuckin'-week long migraine. Turned out I had eyestrain, so no 'puterz for me. -_-
But does anyone notice?
But does anyone care?
And if I had the guts
To put this to your head
But does anything matter
If you're already dead?
And should I be shocked now
By the last thing you said?
((Sorry, the words just came to mind when I was thinking, 'like anyone cares where I've been!' *heh*))
Socky, I love this post.
So much of it is true!
What's this about Mustardz going incommunicado??? Does anyone know how to track her down? Because I really, REALLY miss reading her. ;_;
Leathermouth & MSI? WTF, man? WTF??
Happy Friday, and all that.
I'm sittin' here working away, wearing one of my Happy Bunny shirts and just waiting for 5:00 so I can go home.
How 'bout y'all?
You guyz been good??
Hi Sis Midnite!
I'm lazing away my day off from work.
Sorry, you've been migrainey and stuffs. Working on a computer all the meffin' time can really do a number on your whole body.
Mustard is MIA but we are all missing her hardcore.
hey Sis M!!
sorry you've been so poorly! nice to see you around.
hello solly!
you enjoying your day off?
I sure am, FASC! It's been a wonderfully lazy day.
Smoke tried to call and wake me from my nap, then the cat started meowing, so I decided to get up and call Smoke anyways and now, LHM is here eating chips and salsa!
hey solly!!
glad you are relaxing.
and do you have monday off too? isn't tuesday a public holiday in USA. it says so on my calendar...veterans day or something?
we don't get a public holiday to comemmerate our soldiers who have died at war.
i think i se a typo^^ but i can't be arsed to check!!
jesus that sure is a typo!!
haha!
commemorate
still looks wrong though??
se = see
I'm off Monday, but we have to work on Tuesday. I think the federal offices are closed but not us!
I just listened to E Cuts little EP thing and I have to say I don't know how I feel about it. It's not horrible, not great, just weird.
oh i haven't listened yet. i will tomorrow but i can't find my earphones and the bloke aint gonna tolerate that!!
gotta go solly!
take care and have a lovely friday evening!!
♥
OOOO!
Tennessee.
Te-te-te-Tennessee.
I GOT ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT ON THE BRAIN.
@_@
Mr. Wendell!
Are we going shopping tomorrow? Let's!
Sure! We gotta go see Madagascar, too! LHM said so.
Yeah, I know. We've already disgusted that.
OMG! So...Def Lepp/Taylor Swift is pretty fucking awesome! I just saw Rick Allen!
*swoon*
I ♥ him!
I didn't know that his brother was the tour manager for Faith Hill/Tim McGraw and apparently Taylor found out and talked to him about how she was this huge Def Lepp fan and next thing she knew, Rick was on the phone talking to her getting it all hooked up.
Run-on sentence much?
Okay, back to CMT!
This so entertaining!
Porch,
I miss Mustard. If she were here, she'd share in my musical enthusiasm for the absurd which somehow works.
*sigh*
morning porchies!
hope you all have lovely relaxing saturdays/sundays!!
Morning Porch! ^_^
I haz a headache. I need coffee.
Be back later!
Mawhhnin!
I have a headache too. Grr..
Gonna go get breakfast and some excedrin.
Def Lepp/Taylor Swift is coming on again at 10! Yayness!
It's a lovestory, baby, just say yessssssssss
Morning Errbody!
Jules if you get a chance I would really appreciate some advice on the e-mail I sent you.
Sorry I can't stay, I'm just not in the mood today. Love you all. x
I ♥ Rodney King. Just putting that out there. He is such a nice dude.
And Steven Adler is funny as hell.
Shiba Inu puppy cam. the puppies are so cute.
http://www.ustream.tv/
channel/shiba-inu-puppy-cam
Aww! Lookit the furry little babies! ^_^
BoooOOOOOOOoooooOO!
'Sup?
I said...
"WAAAAAZZZUP?"
Somebody make me some coffee.
Peez?
Bring me some.
I'm cold.
OMG, I have the cutest little boy sitting in my living room. He is such a doll. :)
Somebody talk to me! DAMN!
Ludo has a new video! WHOOP! WHOOP!
You should have heard Stewie! He was reading the Bible and he was like this is great..."people are getting nailed to 2x4's"!
I love Family Guy!
Who is sitting in your living room?
Zach Effron?
Ewwww...
Bathtime! I'm cold.
My adopted child. The prodigal son.
He's still a dollbaby though. :)
Order it all.
Muwahahhahaha!
I'm so freakin' tired tonight, WTF is wrong with me?
I'm fixing to knock that cell phone out of his hand. >_<
Who is calling him? He got a little galfriend??
I dunno. He's getting text messages. Gah. Bwess him. I just want to squeeze him.
So, hoodie or t-shirt?
Hoodie!
and T-shirt!
o_O
x_O
Weirdness.
Musssstaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrd!
I know, right?
@_@
Right.
So what did you decide on?
I'm trying to arrange all the pics on my computer into nice little neat folders and it's pissing me off to be honest.
Night, night!
morning morning!
it's blustery and rainy over here and i am about to head over to my in laws to eat a huge roast dinner!
have great sundays PORK!!
Post a Comment